Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Froot Loops for dinner!


Quick post about my amazing amazing discovery. I went to the library again today. This time for my 2D design class- to look at old artwork or archival photographs for our next project.

And... I found... a mini world of animation. One whole shelf dedicated to the brilliance of Hanna Barbera, Disney, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, Pixar stuff... There were books ranging from Illusion of Life to books that were just lists of good animated films to watch. All they did was list out short films in small print for a good 200 or so pages. There was a book dedicated to listing out all the "uncensored" animated films that have been made. Books about the animation style of the 50's. It was lovely. I was a happy child huddled in front of the stacks of books. And inevitably, my 2D design project will be heavily influenced by it. (Although I did spend a considerable amount of time browsing through a book about old French poster artists).

It was time well spent.

And I returned with a book on Chuck Jones : A Flurry of Drawings. And a book about the silent live-action (with a little animation mixed in) films made by Disney, especially the Alice comedies. And a book about the previz art of Disney animated films. They are amazing.

And I am definitely going back to the library and going through more of this once I have more breathing space.

P.S. I'm starting to hate living right across the "social lounge" in the dorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment